Wednesday 28 March 2012

Vegan chocolate cake

No eggs, no butter, no nothin'


Sooo, I haven't posted anything up for...well, quite a long time actually. In my defence, I had exams and, err...other stuff. Anyhoo, let's move on.

Move on to VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE.

As you may, or may not be aware, the Bear is a scientist. He does science-y things all day, with other science-y people, and occasionally they all get together with some other science-y people and have a big science party with cake. (Cake of course being created by science...and magic.)

This is what is happening tomorrow.

One of the science-y attendees happens to be vegan, and so, being the amazing girlfriend that I am, I made a vegan chocolate cake so the poor vegan scientist did not have to miss out.

I should probably caveat this now: I have not tried this cake. I do not know if it tastes any good. I tried some of the uncooked cake batter (no eggs = no salmonella. WIN!) and it was deeeelicious though, so I'm guessing the final, fully-cooked cake is good too. I will report back once the cake has actually been eaten.

CRAZY VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE


*N.B. The crazy refers to the carrots, dates and other weird ingredients, not the vegan-ness.


100g dates
200ml boiling water
150ml sunflower oil
1 tbsp cider vinegar
75g chopped pecans
150g grated carrot
150g caster sugar
175g strong white bread flour
3 tbsp cocoa
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking powder


For the icing:
150g icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
2tbsp boiling water
pecans, to decorate







Soak the dates in the water for 10 minutes. Add the oil and vinegar to the water and dates and blend. 


Mix the date paste with the sugar, pecans and carrot.


Add flour, spices, cocoa and baking powder and mix.


Divide between 2 tins and bake @ 180c for 25 minutes.


When the cakes are cool, combine the icing ingredients and use the icing to sandwich the 2 cakes together, then spread the remainder on top and decorate with pecans.


Voila.


I just hope if doesn't taste like crap. For the good of science.






No comments:

Post a Comment